View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:31 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

All across the Indonesian Archipelago every region, and probably every village within every region has its own little work knives that more often than not have their own individual names. They vary in minute detail, as well as major detail, and those names can change simply by going from one village to the next.

I don't know what the correct name for the knife pictured is, because I don't know where it came from, and in any case, I've probably never been there. If I had to name this one I'd just look in one of the accepted references and name it as :- " a thingamejig from Wherever, according to Whoever".

I think a few of you may know of my love for the Name Game.

Anyway. Rice knives.

Pictured here is what is now used for harvesting rice in south central Bali, its an arit. Just like a normal sickle or reaping hook.

The peculiar little wooden thing with the narrow rusty blade is an ani-ani. This is the traditional ritual rice harvesting knife. It is hidden in the palm of the hand, so as not to frighten the spirit of the rice. A traditional farmer even today will have his wife cut the first few stalks before making the harvest. The one pictured is a Javanese ani-ani.

The rather refined knife with the ebony hilt and scabbard is a very good quality modern Balinese pemutik. A knife used for general work, especially in preparation of offerings and in ritual. Note the chisel grind.

I've got a number of other small Indonesian knives around too, including a few sirauis and similar, but right at the moment I can't put my hand on them, if I can find them this afternoon, I'll post pics of them too.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote