View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Detlef,

I got mine as a bonus gift when I bought a couple of keris. He told me that it was a female knife from his wife's hometown in Java. The only thing that resembles a siraui on the knife above is IMHO the blade form. But all siraui I have seen has had other hilts, scabbards and been larger in size. This one looks more like a rice harvesting knife.
Enclosed are two reference pictures of the two typical versions of siraui, which both are much larger in size and more of a weapon.
I think that Willem is correct in the old thread that the knife that was posted isn't a siraui at all. Maybe that's the reason for the confusion?

Michael
Michael,

good possible. Rice harvesting knifes in Indonesia look different but I think that my guess that these knifes are used as utility knifes seems in my eyes nearby. Do you ever have recognized the affinity with the Bagobo sangi? And I have bought recently a bigger one which look also not like a weapon. Later I will post pictures from this one. Here first the picture of my small one. the handle is very similar like the one from Gene but the scabbard is more like the "real" old Siraui sheaths.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote