View Single Post
Old 14th September 2014, 09:55 AM   #47
driftwould

Location: Currently, Taiwan. Previously China for 6 years. Speak and read 中文 well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Sorry I missed your previous post, James. I'm sure it would have made good reading. Probably a bit like some of my posts that I've withdrawn from time to time. Much more entertaining than the polite ones.

Yeah, agreed 100%, the best steel depends on what it is used for.

During the 1980's when I was doing a lot of custom forge work I used to get an order from time to time from a couple of blokes who lived in Canada. I don't know exactly what they did, but they seemed to spend a lot time in the bush. The order was for two blade patterns, one something like the old Marbles pattern knife from the 1920-30 era, and one like an ordinary butcher's knife. They wanted them forged from recycled motor vehicle spring steel and given a spring temper. They reckoned that anything they could buy was not able to be sharpened when they were away from home, so they wanted a tough knife, to their own specs that they could sharpen on a stone in camp. Over about a 5 year period I probably supplied these blokes with about 30 or so knife blades.

I have no idea at all what Rockwell they ran at, they were pretty rough blades, and I did not have to fit handles, just provide a stick tang.

Far from being offended, I thought it was quite informative - and entertaining! Also, thanks for going into such detail about this. As with other comments above, your input has given me useful and interesting insights to start from.
driftwould is offline   Reply With Quote