View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:29 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helleri
Now as for the hot needle test. It is not as destructive or as extreme as it sounds. The mark left if bone or a synthetic material will be so tiny that no one is going to notice it if they are not looking for it likely. You're not looking to press the needle with any amount of force, just touch it with the very tip. sometimes you can even just hover it very closely to see an effect. And if a material is ivory or ceramic it absolutely will leave no mark. If you do get a small undesirable mark it is very easy to repair with a little super glue and same colored dust from a very light, non-invasive filing with something like an emery nail file.

In general while a visual inspection can tell you a good deal. It's no way to go making a positive ID. Visual inspection is just one part of it. All of your senses and testing made to take advantage of those sense are important to make a positive ID on a material most of the time.
We will simply have to agree to disagree on his matter Helleri. There is no way in hell i am going to make any damage to one of my pieces, no matter how minor it might be.
As for visual inspection for ivory identification i would say that for the vast majority of ivory you can indeed make a very good positive ID that way...with the piece in hand. You simply need to know what you are looking for. I would never suggest it can be easily to discerned from photographs though. However, if Harry's choora were in my hands right now i would feel very confident telling him if it were ivory or not.
David is offline   Reply With Quote