View Single Post
Old 20th December 2008, 05:19 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Hi All,

While I do love the Osprey series, and I do appreciate Miguel's efforts. On the other hand, I think we need to think about whether we want to post so much copyrighted material without attribution.

What's the dividing line? A lot of us (including myself) have posted pictures from other websites, and that's okay so far as I can tell. I, for one, wouldn't like to see an entire book posted, unless it was not copyrighted or if the copyright had lapsed. What's the acceptable middle ground?

My bias is towards paying authors and artists for their work, mostly so that they can afford to keep producing the art I enjoy. Since I enjoy the Osprey series artwork, I would argue that we should buy the books.

Fearn

Well placed note Fearn, and while I also admire Miguel's well intended post here, I think that this may be construed as exceeding fair use. If it were a page of illustrations aligned with a discussion on a particular topic, and properly cited it would be within perameters. Attaching such volume of the corpus of Osprey material (which I'm amazed could be done like this) is colorful and enjoyable, but I think better served singularly with focus on one topic and discussion.

I agree, these books are magnificent and offer much broader attention to often extremely esoteric subjects in history in a wonderful benchmark fashion. I have often used them as a sort of visual overview when beginning research on a particular topic, following with more in depth study.

Miguel, thank you for your thoughtful sharing of these, but I think we should be mindful of the copyright issues and posting volume as well OK.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote