View Single Post
Old 17th February 2008, 09:40 PM   #27
Paul Macdonald

Hi Pukka,

I`m happy to answer your questions.

Regarding the discovery of the sword, this came about after I received a commission to restore the original basket hilted backsword of Charles Stuart of Ardshiel, the Jacobite commander of the Stuarts of Appin at Sherrifmuir and Culloden.
This sword has been passed down in the same family for generations, and it`s continued provenance was that this was the sword used by Ardshiel to face and defeat Rob Roy MacGregor in single combat.

It was on the back of receiving this sword that I chased a local legend from my original Highland homeland of Moidart. I was years before told of the story that a local family possessed the (or an) original sword of Rob Roy MacGregor. The provenace is like most Highland traditions and oral in nature, handed down from generation to generation. That is, MacGregor in his last days gave the sword to one of the MacLarens, from whom MacGregor rented his croft.
It was then passed from that family to the MacRaes of Moidart a couple of generations ago.

I have found but one contemporary description of MacGregors sword, which was described as a `broad and stout blade`. That which I received from the MacRaes is certainly that. It is noticeably broad, and overall on the heftier end, but well balanced all the same.

The sword has been in the hands of a private family and was treasured by the father, who passed away around 10 years ago. Since that time, many of his possessions, including the sword, were put into a byre beside the crofthouse, and no doubt much of the corrosive damage has been caused during this time. As far as the mother was concerned, it was just an old sword.
Unfortunately, the elements corroded away the original leather scabbard and basket lining, and likely also some of the grip material, as well as causing surface rust over the entire blade and hilt.

I visited Abbotsford house to see the Rob Roy sword there and other weapons that were purchased by Sir Walter Scott in the C19th. To be sure, the blade on Scott`s MacGregor sword does not match the contemporary description, and his `Rob Roy sgian dubh` is clearly early - mid C19th.

Check out the following threads for further pics and info. regarding the swords of Ardshiel and MacGregor -

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=80549

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=82635

Regarding basket linings, there is plenty of evidence of original Jacobite baskets being either fully or partly (base of hilt only) lined in leather. This provides a rudimentary protection for the knuckles and thumb against the hilt. This is not so much because the hilts are restrictive. If the hilt does not allow full and free movement to hand and wrist, then it is best melted down to make something that is serviceable!

The basket hilted sword is primarily a cutting weapon, and cuts require sufficient blade movement to be effective. Full and free hand and wrist movement is essential for this and any good basket is of size and form enough to allow it.

Both grips were used on the Highland hilts, either with the fingers and thumb curled around the entire grip, or with the thumb running along the back of the grip, fingers slightly back to allow a fingers and thumb only grip. This may not sound as stong, but in the hands of a trained swordsman is just as strong and more accurate and responsive than a wrap-around grip.
Hilts allowing the thumb-back grip tend to be slightly longer in the hilt and grip and sometimes with a flat back to the grip.

The leather lining protection is more to protect the hand if any bars break or bend in towards the hand during use.

This was fairly common with Highland baskets, as the individual bars and plates have to be quite thin, otherwise, the whole hilt would simply weigh too much. This is easily evident with many mass produced basket hilts today, that may look the part but are far from serviceable, with too-thick baskets and muckle thick blades.

I have also handled and seen many original early - mid C18th military basket hilts with full leather lining, usually white on the inside and red on the outside. This is as much for show and matching the weapon with the redcoat uniform as it is for practical use.

The red lining became almost a standard feature of regimental basket hilt swords since that time, and is seen on most C19th Scottish military baskets, which are still made and used as the current pattern.

I hope that the above details are helpful for now

All the best,

Macdonald
Paul Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote