View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Iain,
Interesting one indeed! The most intriguing thing is this pommel as noted, and with the ferrule or sleeve it is almost tempting to think of a doorknob, however I am not suggesting this is the case. In most of these remote regions however there are often unusual items incorporated in various decor and motif elements. I can think of examples of headgear in the Saharan areas in tribal instances using items of tablewear like spoons and forks.

What the geometric and floral motif on the pommel reminds me of is in certain pommels of kaskara from Darfur, Northern in particular, the Tama, the tribe of Ali Dinar. These radiating florals also remind me in turn of the pommel discs of tulwars. There are instances apparantly of the Darfur pommels using pounded out silver schillings and with the similar floral motif.

Naturally it seems odd to see these potential influences as far west as the Tuareg regions, but North Darfur hosted numerous heavily traded routes through not only El Fashir, its capital, but the trade city of Kobbei.
Perhaps, these might account for this apparant anomaly.

All the best,
Jim
Hi Jim,

Doorknob was something I thought of when I first saw images of the sword. Once in hand though it becomes clear its not a repurposed item. For one thing it is much too small!

Regionally I had been thinking more into West Africa rather than east simply because of the size - shorter swords tending to be from areas with heavier, forested terrain. The level of corrosion on the blade also seems consistent with a damper climate and not the dry heat of the Sahel proper. I should also mention this originally came out of a German antique shop - while not conclusive that may point to a former German colony as a source point.

I'd be interested to see a kaskara pommel with a similar motif - I can't recall one of the top of my head and will look around.

The floral element reminded me of the four petal element often seen on takouba guards - like the one in my avatar. But I have never encountered one with the stacked formation seen here.

Certainly one of the more fun and challenging pieces to cross my desk in a while!

All the best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote