View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:03 AM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
5) The pommel. Most European pagans are into four-fold symmetry these days, and I'd expect to see a 4 or 8 sided pommel. Older magic tends towards 12 (as in 12 Olympians, 12 houses in the zodiac, etc). That ten sided starburst is interesting. Could mean that it's old, could mean that the maker liked it and decided to include it. Symbolic? Not in an obvious way.

6) The words on the sheath. Here's the weird one. Look at the eighth picture in the line, which I've copied below and rotated 90 degrees (hope the seller doesn't mind the reposting). To my eyes, that sure looks like "M NI PADME HUM" as in "OM MANI PADME HUM." What do you guys think? If I'm right, that's a really ODD thing to find on the sheath of a 17th century GERMAN dagger. Not impossible, of course, but... come on. That's the english transliteration of a mantra from Buddhism, specifically of the boddhisatva of compassion, Avalokiteshvara (who is thought to be incarnated in the Dalai Lama, by the way). Interesting how it's connected with some sort of snake-like design. Even more interesting that it's on a knife sheath.
10 would be a very significant number to a Qabalist (the number of sephiroth on the Tree of Life). Alan Bennett is one very famous occultist who fancied himself a Buddhist. Buddhist and Hindu thought was also deeply ingrained in the practice of late 19th - early 20th century ceremonial lodges such as the Golden Dawn and it's splinter groups. Yoga was a part of the training in many of these lodges. Norse mythology, not so much, but really there have been very many magickal freelancers over the last century or so that tend towards the eclectic side, so strict adherence to one groups particular dogma is not really necessary to consider this a legitimate occult ritual weapon. I'm guessing this was someone's "homemade" ritual dagger pieced together and adorned to agree with one person's particular believe system. Agreed, it's not quite as pretty as it could be, though i'll bet it looked better once. Still percise carvings and perfect decorations would not have been the point (pun intended ) I have to agree with Jim, that while it ain't want some might want it to be it certainly is what it is and that in itself is pretty interesting and, i dare say, collectable.
David is offline   Reply With Quote