View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:27 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Figurative Hilt ID

I acquired this hilt on an old Javanese keris really early in my keris collecting "career". It shows some age, but i have always assumed it was at least post WWII and possibly from sometime around the 1960-70. Iy has a nice color and patina. While no great work of figurative art i have always thought it had a certain charm (a bit like Art Naïve). I have wondered if it might be of Madurese origin, but i have never been sure. It seems like it might be Ganesha, but maybe not. You know how it is with later figurative hilts. It's intentions are not clear IMO. I did once see another hilt of the same exact design which very possibly may have come from the same carver for sale online some time ago, but i never downloaded the images and can't remember the site.
So what i'd like to know where folks think this originated? Do you think it is bone or antler? I kind of lean towards bone (note that the head has a plugged piece inserted). What type/origin of keris would this hilt be appropriate for? All comments appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote