View Single Post
Old 7th September 2011, 06:14 AM   #63
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPCA
Hello Stu,

Yes, you're right. It is very difficult today to have a final decision on the origins of Moroccan or Arab Zanzibari Nimcha. That is why this subject is open and no door can not be truly closed.

Take the case of this Nimcha from Oriental Arms. I trust Adni of Aïfa when he described it as Zanzibari. Yet its profile and its guard are those of a Moroccan nimcha while its protection is typical of a Zanzibari nimcha .

I got in Algiers in 1962 (independence of Algeria) in stocks of the French Army a number of weapons that were taken of war in 1830. Among them, a Moroccan nimcha used by defenders of Alger. This shows that different types of weapons were circulating well throughout the Maghreb.

Now, armed Algerian troops ensured the protection of convoys of traveling pilgrims each year to Mecca. Possible that the Moroccan nimcha of an Algerian soldier has inspired a Yemeni pilgrim who then placed an order in Zanzibar. Why not?
This is how travel perhaps influences.

Regards Louis-Pierre
I have no doubt that travel and trade over the years have indeed influenced styles in (amongst other things) weapons. However it is also beyond doubt that the exact origins of styles can only be assumed by the scholars of today. There can be no DEFINATE claims made unless of course there is documented and RELIABLE proof from earlier times.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote