View Single Post
Old 20th January 2016, 07:07 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

That is a very good point Ulfberth, and these striated shells are a feature I have always associated with hilt features on Spanish examples. These are in my opinion keenly associated with the scallop shell, the symbol most used representing St James of Compostela. This is turn seems to be very much aligned with Spanish and Portuguese military orders, and likely in other related items of material culture.
This same striated shell is often as extended in counter guards, and on various edged weapon motif.
Interestingly I originally noticed this feature in research on Spanish colonial espada anchas of the 18th to early 19th . in the shell over the forte from the guard. This seems to have been prevalent through the 18th but I found the feature of course did reach much farther back as noted, but seemingly confined to Spanish items or provincially related examples.

One cannot resist the fascinating lore and history that surround these magnificent cuphilts, the mystery of the Spanish fencing technique, Destreza, and it is easy to see why the Spaniards resisted giving up these traditions for so long.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote