Thread: New Moro kris
View Single Post
Old 12th February 2020, 09:04 AM   #16
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Apolaki:

I would remove the blade from vinegar at this point. Rinse it thoroughly in plain water. Wipe it dry and apply a light oil. From here on I would use sand paper only. Start with nothing coarser than 200 grit. Then move to 400 grit and then 600 grit. Wipe the blade regularly with a clean cloth to remove residual particles. Rubbing with abrasive paper will remove any remaining oxidation and polishes the blade to a smooth finish.

After removing the blade from the vinegar it should be apparent if you have any lamination, hardened edge, etc. Signs of these will disappear as you polish the blade. If you wish to show those features again, you will need to etch the blade again.

First, clean off all the oil on the blade (I use propyl alcohol). Then for final etching, I prefer diluted ferric chloride solution although lemon juice works well also. (If the etch looks brown you have left it too long--repolish the blade and start again). After obtaining the desired features, neutralize the acid with baking soda, rinse thoroughly with clean water, dry gently, and again apply a light coating of oil to the blade. Instead of oil you could use a silicon-based wax--I use Renaissance Wax.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote