View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:23 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalarts
Hi Detlef,

I am really excited to see your spears posted here. In 1997, I traveled to meet the Geba Bopolo people in the Lake Rana area, which is in the interior of Buru.

They had spears just like yours. The two types of spearheads they had are shaped just like those in your photos - one is barbed and the other has a simple leaf shape.

The people there told me that a man never goes into the rainforest without carrying a spear and a parang or todo. They are used for hunting and for defense.

I actually went to meet the Geba Bopolo to learn about their fighting arts and culture. Though I stayed only a short time, they showed me a little of what they do when fighting with the spear and parang combination.

Just now, I am working on an article about my experience. When searching for more information about Buru, your posts appeared in my search.

Anyway, those are great! I sure wish I had thought to bring some back myself.

Leslie
Hi Leslie,

I just found your post! They don't get collected by my person but from an uncle of my wife who coming from Halmahera. I picked them up on Bali and bring them with to Germany, I was happy that they were wrapped since my journey back was by public transport!
Great that you can recognize them as from the Geba Bopolo people!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote