View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 12:43 AM   #12
tanaruz

Default SUNDANG MINDANAO LUMAD BOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbel
OFF TOPIC:

I remember briefly visiting Zamboanga City in 1985. On my way from General Santos City to Manila - I didn't have enough money to fly, so embarked on the MV Manila for a 3 day trip north.

Our stop in Zamboanga City was scheduled to be very short and so we were advised to stay on board. In addition, that was a relatively rough time to be wandering the streets of that town as a young American. As soon as we docked, dozens of young local kids ran onto the ship to take "to go" orders from the passengers. One quickly found me and I vaguely remember giving him enough cash to buy some Winstons and Chippy - knowing full well that I'd likely not see him again.

Shortly before we were scheduled to leave, my young friend suddenly appeared, smokes and treats in hand delivered with a smile. As we pushed away from the docks, there was a small commotion as passengers gathered to look up towards the top of the ship where a large group of the "to go" boys stood near the edge. We watched, laughing and cheering in amazement as kid after kid jumped from the top deck of the ship, down into the deep waters below. I'll never forget it.
Hi,

Yes, I do remember that passenger ship. And I boarded that vessel too. In 1985, I was a Medical Representative assigned to cover Mindanao. I was based in Zamboanga City and normally takes the plane to Cotabato City. Then downwards to Gen Santos City and take the early evening trip aboard MV Manila to Zamboanga.

I hope that you will find time again to visit and explore my Latin city of the south.

Kind regards and be safe,

Yves
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote