Thread: Firangi
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2020, 05:31 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
I would like to moderate two statments or at least to bring my humble contribution...
Kubur, your contribution might have been humble ... but humble is not the way you express your views, if i may .
I am sure Ariel mentions Almeida and Albuquerque as a symbolic reference to Portuguese travelers; as i wonder how you have inferred such anecdotal situation in that their men would have given or sold their own blades to the locals.
I would not worry to point out the difference between Portuguese and Venetians being partners or competitors; the sense of business transcends any such condition. In any case, Portuguese were not massive blade smiths; they had to buy them somewhere to take them to India for business; Germany and Spain were also usual sources for blades import.
One point worthy of credit is that, when large (off mark) blades became obsolete in Europe, they became a good asset for Indian trade.
I am sure that you are well documented over the precise statement that Portuguese sold their 'old crap blades' from the Goan artillery foundries and shipyards, an angle of history i hadn't yet been familiar with.

Last edited by fernando; 4th May 2020 at 06:01 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote