View Single Post
Old 26th August 2019, 07:17 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ariel, this is an absolutely outstanding topic!! and seldom ever tenaciously approached in the west (English sources). I have long thought that you and Kirill Rivkin had the 'market cornered' on the shashka.
I have long had interest on these, since the early 90s when I first began trying to research these swords. While in those times I learned a great deal on them from Oliver Pinchot, whose expertise on their typology has been well known for decades, I wanted to learn more on their history.

My first 'breakthrough', or so I thought, was when I found and somehow obtained a copy of "Origins of the Shashka" (1941) by Jacobsen & Triikman which was published in the journal of the Danish Arms & Armour Society.
After months of trying to get this article translated, I found that the title was somewhat misleading as far as 'origins' yet still intriguing insight into some Central Asian swords.

As far as I have known, the guardless sabre in itself was known from ancient times, and it seems Steppes tribes such as Avars used them c. 4th c. AD.
Also the guardless sword was known used by the Sassanians in the 6th and 7th c. AD as described by Trousdale in "The Long Sword and Scabbard Slide in Asia" (Smithsonian #17, 1975, p.95). The data on these was cited by Thom Richardson in Coe ("Swords and Hilt Weapons" p.177) in his paper on Asian swords as from:
"Notes Iraniennes XIII" Tres Epees Sassanides, 'Artibus Asiae' 26, 3/4
p.293-311 , by R. Girshman.

While it seems that swords without guards are of course, well represented throughout history, the distinctive adoption of them as an indigenous and exclusive type in the Caucasus is difficult to classify as to a specific influence.
Whatever the case, these examples shown are compelling proof of such swords in these regions in the 17th c.
This certainly moves back the generally held notion that the shashka as a form 'probably' began in the 18th century, and most examples known to collectors are mid 19th into early 20th c.

Until the publication of Kirill Rivkins brilliant work, "Arms and Armor of the Caucusus", 2016) there has been virtually no work in English on these mysterious and fascinating sabres, so advancing more on their history is resounding and long overdue.
Nicely done Ariel, thank you!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote