View Single Post
Old 11th November 2008, 05:06 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Rick and Fearn, I'm with you guys on this blade...pretty fantastic work!
I'm still convinced this is most likely a Freemason's symbolic sword,probably used by the Tyler who guards the door of the lodge. It seems I recall a number of instances over the years, where some very interesting old swords have found a place as one of these symbolic swords in lodges across the country. I remember one had one of the Spanish colonial blades we have discussed a number of times over the years with the motto "draw me not without reason, nor sheath me without honor'. In other cases, mostly old cavalry sabres or ornate dress swords served the purpose.

According to "The Doorway of Freemasonry" by William Harvey, Dundee, Scotland, 1921, the old Scottish term tile/tyle meant to cover,hide, keep secret, and the officer who guarded the door of the lodge was solemnly entrusted with this duty. He notes further, "..there was a time when the tylers sword was 'wavy' in shape, and he adds that it was made in allusion to the flaming sword placed at the east of the Garden of Eden". He emphasizes that the tylers sword and office mark the dividing line between the lodge and the world.

Another Freemason site, this one in the U.S. notes that the tylers sword should traditionally be with a 'wavy' blade, and illustrates one of the more common neoclassic fraternal type hilts with a less elaborate straight wavy blade, and describes the same Biblical association to the flaming sword.

I agree that 18th century Europe, in Great Britain and on the Continent, was wrought with occultism as described in discussions on talismanic blades, and secret societies of many forms, most prevalent being the Freemasons. Of these secret societies and fraternal groups, the Freemason's seem to have the most identifiable weapons in most cases, however the tylers sword seems to have been a privately adopted weapon, which clearly carried a certain degree of status in earlier times with this Society. Members were of course typically of both gentry and sometimes nobility being well to do, and it seems reasonable that an elaborate piece like this would be commissioned.

I think it would be fascinating to find other rather elaborate sword examples that were likely used by tylers in these lodges, such as the one I mentioned with dramatic skull and crossbones that looked much like an Indian pata.

I remain convinced as well that certain obscure symbolism is subtly imbued in the motif, decoration and style in a number of cases in swords used by military officers of these times.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote