View Single Post
Old 16th February 2012, 01:40 PM   #234
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I think a balanced view is the best one. We cannot suggest that every single blade is native made nor can we suggest that every single fullered (and well made blade) is european. I think thats pointless to just place blades on such assumptions.
Salaams A.alnakkas ~ Balance? I tell ya chasing this one down would unbalance most folks! Of the three swords however I am unphased since in the case of :

Number 1 ; I have identified the workshops that engineered the blade onto the Omani Hilt. They cant remember if it was welded but my bet is they did because in their collection and pictured by me is a welded blade that they admit to doing... The Ethiopian job awaiting an Omani hilt welded to extend the tang and include the Omani Pommel.

Number 2 ; The Old OMANI BATTLE SWORD. Not a problem there as it looks like a later model~ It originated in style about 1700 years ago but lasted til the early 20th C ... This sword is still being Iconized even now... we have one being dressed at this time including a new scabbard and silver furniture etc No doubt there are many versions of this weapon through the milenia but the style and origins to me seem clear.

Number 3 Sotheby have some research indicating the initials as India but that is open to examination ...The blade is weird.. I suspect Gothic revival .. I dont believe we need to worry too much about this one just yet though I would be delighted to discover that it is a European blade since I have searched for this based on rumour etc... It could be the 17th C replacement rumoured to have taken place. It is and was surely a pathetic blade and would be useless in a battle... I would rather have a wooden club ! It therefor appears as perhaps a one off ~ an Indian variant~ or a European replacement. It cannot have been that popular as Ive only seen this example. A freak even?

Therefor I am not able to conclude nor agree, in part, to your first paragraph though of course balance is vital; as is an open mind. Naturally if a blade is European I will declare that and where some new solidly based information crops up I will publish to forum...on that I have always been clear.

To date there is absolutely no concrete proof that European blades came onto the Omani scene to replace either the Old Battle Sayf or the flexible dancing blade Omani Sayf... save the crumb of detail and the outside chance that the sword shown at 3 above could be one exception.

The research goes on.

Salaams,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote