View Single Post
Old 20th August 2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Richard, its really good to have you come in on our discussion!!! and I was hoping you would but hadnt seen you posting for a while. Welcome back, and thank you for the as always, great notes. You're absolutely right of course, the distinctive and attractive comma ears would have likely been copied by others seeking to match the desirability of Osborn's work, and while I noted it was 'likely' to be, 'possibly' would have better served.

I think what is most interesting is the pre 1801 arms, and realizing that this cannot serve as a steadfast denominator in dating of weapons, again it presents as probably pre 1801. I am not sure when Johnston worked, or the others who also may have used the comma ear feature, or the faceting, but I have generally been inclined to pre 1801 and Osborn. It seems I have seen the comma ears on other M1796 light cavalry sabres that were with plain blades and probably a bit later, and thinking they were either officers 'fighting' sabres or for troopers, possibly yeomanry?

Again, great to have you posting again!!!!

All the best,
Jim
Good point about the pre 1801 arms Jim but I think unless a sword has Osborn's name on it, its not an Osborn. He was a maker rather than a retailer and no doubt proud of his work, thus I'm sure his name always appears where the sword was made by him.

You mention also undecorated blades with officer type hilts (still talking about P1796's of course)- that's another big subject! As a general (but certainly not invariable) rule, if it has an officer's type hilt, I would say its an officer's sword regardless of the fact that it has a plain blade. I call these "economy" officers' swords - some officers may not have sufficient finances to be able to afford a decorated blade, some may have had two swords, a nice B&G to impress the ladies and a plain blade for business. As far as the yeomanry are concerned, it is actually quite often the case that all members of a unit, both officers and troopers, carried swords with decorated blades as these people were the well-heeled tradesmen and middle class of their time. This was certainly the case with the Loyal Birmingham Light Horse Volunteers and the Liverpool Light Horse.

Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote