Thread: Brass Bracelet
View Single Post
Old 11th December 2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Ken Maddock ... Most interesting. A brass bangle. Zig Zag pattern culminating in sets of 3 dots formed with an apparent moon sector(new moon ?) inside a circle of dots.... The sets of three dots facing outward..the outer sets... forming groups of not 3 but 5 ...My suggestions are ;
1. Brass in some structures like Indian and Islamic suggests gold and used as ... the reflector of evil...Marriage boxes are clad with brass in both areas India and Arabia... could this be the talismanic effect of the material?...In which case it is likely to be wedding Jewelry.
2. The moons(Islamic?) in sets of three could indicate a triangle which is very much a religious format... as is the triangle formed sometimes indicated by triangular combs... thus perhaps again an Islamic design.
3. The figure 5 suggested in the outer moon decoration perhaps the geometric figure 5... very much an Islamic(but not only) structure based on the 5 tenets of the religion... sometimes seen as a hand with 5 fingers...hand of Fatimah... but often also illustrated geometrically... as also seen on Hirz Boxes.
4. From where...? Not Arabia I suspect...but either India or Africa...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I almost forgot... the significance of the zig zag is that of a talismanic snake effect and of course is "the snake" device decorating the item.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote