Thread: Amanremu
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 08:25 AM   #20
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Roland,

Congrats, these are certainly rare to begin with! You do seem to attract unusual blades - I would have expected a steel slorok between laminated softer layers.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your blade discloses after full polish!

Could you add some close-ups of the silver "jaws" of the hilt, please?

A nice blade of large size! (BTW, thickness is considerable at 12mm, width at the base will be more... What is the max. width near the tip?)

This is a large-sized example. I believe these are typical for northern origins. I can't rule out Gayo Luos; however, the bamboo shoot or gunung-like extension of the silver ferrule seems to be more of an Aceh feature - maybe this comes from the Gayo region around Lake Tawar?

Quenching/hardening rather than tempering, I suppose?

Could this be the result of subsequent passes with a water dripper? Are you sure the darker edge is not from a san-mai (or inserted edge) construction?

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai,

I will make some pictures when I'm back at home. But I also plan to make a new thread. So I will send the pictures as a privat message to you.

Dipping the edge only under water is a common practise in Java for example. But they will never have one or two hardening lines parallel to the edge with this method. This sword was probably hardened with a complex isolation on the blade. I will make some pictures of the complex hamon.

Until now it is to early make a solid statement but it seems, that there is no inserted edge, the wohle blade is made of good steel.

Btw. the difference in hardness between the very hard edge and the softer back is huge. This allowed me to give the blade a Katana like cutting edge.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote