View Single Post
Old 28th June 2017, 06:18 AM   #22
Philip

Default trouble-shooting gap between pan and cover

This seems to be an anomaly, the space is pretty big, it almost negates the purpose of the pan-cover as a means of retaining the fine-grained priming powder in the pan!

Like Rick, I've handled my share of Algerian locks, varying from masterful to crude, and on all of them, the pan cover fit was adequate. Could it be that the problem here might be a pivot bolt (or its corresponding hole in the pan-cover) having suffered excessive wear so that the upward pressure of the battery-spring would tend to lift it clear of the pan? If you applied pressure to the pan-cover when the unit was closed, and it moved downward to meet the pan, that might be the problem.

In general, I find that the overall fit and finish of these Algerian agujetas is pretty darned good. At least when you compare their build quality to most of the Moroccan snaphaunces. The mechanical failings of the agujeta seem to be more a matter of engineering and perhaps premature wear from dicey heat treating. The criticisms of 17th cent. Spanish writers (mentioned in a prior post) point to a problem with the design that was apparent centuries ago.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote