View Single Post
Old 8th June 2017, 05:44 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Guys,

Well, normaly I don't fight to push my ideas. I think that's a waste of time (especally because some members are a bit stuborn).
Nevertheless here we have a silver proof mark. You have hundred of examples in North Africa from Morocco to Algeria... On guns too...
For the koummya look at the big hilted koummya called khanjer...

Kubur

Kubur, it would seem this is more than an idea, and presenting support as you have is not a fight, but constructive effort for a correct resolution to a matter.
As I have little particular knowledge on reading Islamic dates or hallmarks, I would like to know, when did the convention of hallmarks (proof) begin in the Maghreb? The only material I could find concerned Egypt, where it was describing the practice since 1916.
Apparently the standard grades are 600, 800, and 900 (with 925 regarded as Sterling).
The data I read says that the Arabic numerals/letters are written left to right in the case of Egypt, but only one zero is used, thus 800 would read as 80.
It seems that the 800 denominator is seen most commonly as found on many commercial or tourist/souk items.

There is also the dilemma of how metal which is amalgamated from various melted down sources and varying purity grades is measured and stamped with such proof marks.

Are proof marks (hallmarks) which gauge silver purity used differently in the Maghreb (or Morocco in particular) , than from Egypt?

It does seem that hallmarks are often filtered into the field of motif, so that seems somewhat compelling here. However, if the numbers seen do not comply with standard measures, then perhaps they might be a date. It is clear this is not an early mounting, certainly not 18th century, but if read as Oliver has described, might be that significant date I have noted.

The events I have suggested were most certainly controversial, so would it be plausible that the date recognizing them might be subtly imbued in this manner?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote