View Single Post
Old 7th June 2017, 06:27 AM   #2
motan

Hi and welcome to this forum. My knowledge of koummiyas is limited, so you will have to wait for the real experts. However, it is clear that this is a very high quality work. Too good to be a tourist item. The silver engraving is esthetically very nice and of high quality. The blade is good. Lack of marks is not a problem because in most cases, engraving on the blade would mean Europeanblade or post 1900 blade, probably for tourists.
There are two questions that will determine if this is a very good piece or an excellent and rare piece. First, the material of the hilt. It appears to be rhinoceros horn, but the color is much darker that in most koummyia. A close-up photo could help, but only microscopic examination could provide definitive answer. Rhino horn was used only in the very best pieces.
Second, there a number on the scabbard which could be a date. The number is 1144, where the first 1 is stylized. 1144 is 1731/2. I have never seen a koummiya from the 1700', so I doubt this, but if correct, it would make your koummiya a truely outstanding piece. Anyway, this particular type has been imitated and reproduced by the thousands, so you must have a keen eye, a lot of luck, or both to choose this particular one.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote