View Single Post
Old 5th April 2022, 10:37 PM   #11
bathala

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
1. The "pics" that you referenced are artist renditions of those eras, and are not actual pictures. Artist renditions aren't dependable or accurate especially when it comes to weapons. In fact when compared to available documentation, most renditions are wanting, or are way off-tangent in their depiction of blades and other cultural items.- I don't think that esteban villanueva did not know.what sword or weapons look like. The weapons in the basi revolt looks accurate to me to the point that the ilocano clip points are on point.

2. If you'll check actual period pictures- studio ones, especially- you'll notice that the only ones with legit "Katipunan" blades- notably daggers with the sun etc symbol- are ranked officers, notably those who came from principalia class. Now take into account that many of the First Republic officers are defectors who used to be allied with the Spanish side. Even in First Republic era pics, what's being carried by foot soldiers aren't S- or D-guards, but rather guard-less or simple-guard fighting bolos. -Period photo especially colonial is one sided. Ofcourse the insurgents did not have their photos taken. The sun and star symbols are of the later Republic not the revolt. You will have to look for other symbolism like the double snakes , the fist, the hanged man, the all seeing eye etc

3. In contrast, there are actual period photos of S- or D-guard bolos among the Spanish forces- particularly among their civilian-military faction, of whose ranked officers are from the Spanish-Filipino (mestizo, etc) families. Based on evidence alone, it's logical to assume that it's the Spanish side that wore these S- and D-guard bolos as standard-issue. - some period photo of colonial soldier have bolos without guards so not really standardized thoroughly.

4. I don't think having hand protection is necessary in a battlefield situation, from the Filipinos' point of view. They were being worsted by the gun- and artillery- equipped Spaniards, then later on, the Americans. Hence it's impractical to issue D- and S-guard bolos to their foot soldiers. Not foot soldiers ofcourse but how about upper command?

5. I don't know how many times various historians mentioned how underequipped the 1896 Katipunan rebels were with regard to equipment. In fact foot soldiers had to resort to sharpened wooden spears. There was even a direct order by either Bonifacio or Aguinaldo for foot soldiers to use sharpened stakes instead if they didn't have bolos. This is a clear indicator that the Katipunan was not as rich as you perceive it to be.
- yes not all katipunan members are rich but to suggest all members would be dirt poor would be untrue. I come from one. As a secret society it is really up to you to fund you own weapons and it would be biased to say that my andcestors sword, (s guard)with a spanish mans head with rope tied around the neck is a spanish hand me down. Xas I respect your research, this is just my take as I have documented history and heirlooms from my family. Never in anyway were we alligned with the colonial gov.(because of land grievance) .
bathala is offline   Reply With Quote