View Single Post
Old 4th February 2017, 08:35 PM   #30
Pukka Bundook

Rick,

I am pleased you mentioned the hole in the rear of the breech-block.
I had meant to mention this and kept forgetting it!

It is for snuffing the match.
You will note than none of the arms with this hole have a match -snuffer on the side of the stock.
This is another point that ties all this type together.
It appears All these from Jaipur with the same decoration (or similar) have this match -hole. I must check, but believe it may be unique to Jaipur arms.
(Though not All Jaipur arms)

Very interesting! At least to yourself and myself, lol!

Edited to add;
My matchlock here also has that hole, (Didn't know if you could see it in any photos here)
Also,
Don't worry about the stock! It's well on the way repair -wise. I have photos to attach as soon as I get at it!
The horn for buttplate is from a Red Cylonese water buffalo, so quite apt.

Thanks for the offer of bone, but I have a good supply of old bone from the muskeg here on the farm, all a bit old and stained. Just need a few tiny pieces for missing inlay, though I do not want to replace quite all of it.

More soon Rick!

Richard.
And, edited to add first pics of repair to the stock.
After initial glueing I drilled two holes from the butt end up a few inches past the break, and inserted metal rods . I like to use wood pegs, but in this case the metal rods will add more rigidity.
As you can see, there are great big pieces of wood missing in some areas!
Added Wood pegs where the old screws were as well.
You can see there is not much left of the bottom inlay, just the elephant's trunk! Not sure how this looked originally, as most such emblems look like a ball with a trumpet, and this one had no large circular part adjoining. ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Pukka Bundook; 5th February 2017 at 02:52 PM.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote