View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2020, 03:30 AM   #36
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
G'day Jim,
We have one great advantage now that previous generations of sword researchers didn't have - the internet! With a few clicks of the mouse we can view more examples of any particular type of sword in one morning, than these older guys could have seen in a lifetime of collecting.
Cheers,
Bryce
\
Absolutely Bryce!
I recall some years ago when I spoke of my early days of research B.C. (=before computers), and Andrew quipped, "..yeah Jim, but they still had papyrus didn't they?"

I can recall sending snail mail letters with overseas postal reply coupons, and my letters eventually responded to in weeks (if lucky), many months, and incredibly some took years. As I recount my 'years' of research on these weapons, those factors considered as well as the dearth of books on the arms gave limited possibiility for the kind of outcomes we have today.

As one of those 'older' guys (I am 75 now) I can very heartily agree on your observation on the numbers of examples at finger tips today in just seconds. It took forever to find examples in the old days, and auctions overseas were handled by phone bids (I had to be up in the wee hours for long distance overseas calls). There were great 'gun shows' but it was essential to travel to them often long distances.

Still I treasure my hardbound books, many by the wonderful old sages of arms now gone, and still have the yellowed old letters in the pages.
It is wonderful to have those memories, and at the same time have the amazing new technology and honestly the astute brilliance of the 'new centurions' coming into the world of arms study.
I still welcome learning every day, and often actually from them
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote