Thread: 'Indian' mace
View Single Post
Old 9th November 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
kronckew

Default 'Indian' mace

bought this on a whim from an epray dealer. listed as indo-persian, the face looks indian tho.

it's from a chinese dealer who says

Quote:
Name,crudely punched in the steel at the base of the sculpted hand grip
there are interesting designs stamped into certain parts of the shaft...makers markings perhaps and bronze construction. This is not a ceremonial mace. This mace is devistatingly heavy and "powerful armour crusher"

heavy bronze head with extended nose, ears, earings and hair projections to concentrate the impact.

A leather wrist thong would once have been on the shaft to prevent loss or flying out of ones grasp.

The decorative collar appears to be of thick silver

the whole thing possibly(for my tastes) slightly over-cleaned by the, well meaning, previous owner
while suspicious of the chinese connection, i'd assume that most fake manufacturers would have chemically patinated this. could be wrong. if against the odds, it wasn't made yesterday, it's a shame the previous owner polished it.

anyhow i bought it knowing it might be fake, but that it could be a 'user' rather than an antique.

thought i'd show it here for comments from the more knowledgeable. i'd be amazed if it were really antique. i'd be pleased if it were just a good fake and didn't just fall apart actually hitting something with it. implied is that it is a steel shaft & grip with a bronze head and possibly a 'silver' collar.

i generally say 'caveat emptor' - i'm really caveating on this one.

p.s. - i stitched two photos together to make this one - it could be longer or shorter than it appears.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 9th November 2012 at 09:13 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote