View Single Post
Old 18th February 2008, 12:07 PM   #32
Paul Macdonald

Jeff,

Those are some beautiful swords!

The first looks like it will dance in the hand nicely

Jim, thanks for that reference to MacGregor throwing his sword in Loch Voil. I had wondered where this had come from, as there is a reference in the family history to it.
If you could send me any info. or copies of this, it would be very much appreciated, as I have had to piece together the real legend from many other stories.

Sir Walter Scott is largely to blame for the popular myth, that MacGregors last duel was with Alistair (sometimes given as Alexander, as the Gaelic for this name sounds more like Alistair) Stuart of Invernahyle. The Ardshiel family were quite adamant that this was not true and it took some digging to discover that this was the case.

Scott attributed this man to the duel, as he was first invited up to visit the Highlands at the request of Alistair Stuart of Invernahyle. This first visit inspired him to write the book Rob Roy, and he was no doubt fed many stories of the man`s legend at the time. The book he wrote some years later, and in the original introduction, he states that he attributed Invernahyle as MacGregors antagonist for his last duel but that "it was so many years ago he heard these tales that he may be mistaken", thus casting doubt upon his own accuracy.

Over the years, many authors of books on MacGregor have simply taken this story as fact, and also attributed Invernahyle as MacGregors last opponent.

The real story however, can be found in the nearest contemporary Gaelic account, translated from the original Dewar Manuscripts. These were commissioned by the Duke of Argyll in the mid C19th. The man who wrote them was John Dewar, a local worker under Argyll`s pay. He was a native Gaelic speaker and familiar with many local tales of the period, and it was his task to collect as much local historical fact and tale as possible to preserve them for future generations.

In here is the entire story of MacGregor and Ardshiels duel, from the cause to the challenge to subsequent retributions taken afterwards. There is no mention of Invernahyle here.

What is interesting to note is several similarities in both tales of MacGregor and Invernahyle that follow through. Both mention that the duel took place in Balqhuidder, the Dewar account clearly taking place behind the local inn. MacGregor was facing a man nearly half his age. He is bested by a cut under the chin (this is the one serious enough to end the combat). He says to his opponent "Well done, that this is the first time my sword has failed me, and the first time I have been bested in single combat".

In both cases also, with the exception of the Loch Voil reference, upon being cut, he sticks his sword into the ground before complimenting his opponent.

There were two inns by Balqhuidder at this time, one actually in the village, and one on the edge of it. This is the one I suspect was the site for the duel, as it is originally an older building, dating back to the C16th. Neither of these buildings are anywhere near sword-chucking distance to Loch Voil. The sword in the ground story appears first in the Dewar manuscripts and pops up in later versions also. And like you say Jim, he was a measured man, a swordsman, who is not likely to just throw away good steel.

I hope this helps shed a wee bit more light of legend upon these twa swords.

Yours Very Truly,

Macdonald
Paul Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote