View Single Post
Old 25th February 2014, 11:05 PM   #40
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you very much Erik, and it sounds like you were well on the way to a most promising article. With what you are saying, and I would defer to your knowledge on these weapons as these are far out of my field of study, it sounds like my thoughts on native perceptions of VOC blades are quite incorrect.

I think one of the reasons I had presumed that in Indonesian regions there would not have been the status or perception of desirability necessarily for the VOC blades is that I had thought that native made blades were far more regarded. I am unclear on whether the blades on weapons other than the keris had similar spiritual or talismanic properties, so that was part of my thought.

Also, I was not aware that native made versions of blades bearing copies of the VOC marks existed, and naturally that would well substantiate the case for these blades being considered of status if it were proven. it sounds as if the proof needed was not yet found, but I hope the research continues .

I would ask here again from yourself and others with expertise concerning the keris and associated weapons...are similar properties that are inherent in the keris also imbued in other edged weapons such as pedang, badik and others?
If VOC blades were indeed considered of high status for whatever reason, could such blades, although foreign, be imbued with any such properties through ritual or ceremonial means?

I hope that these questions regarding these weapons will be met patiently with those here who are involved with their collection and study. As I have noted I am far out of my field here and my questions are meant to better understand the circumstances concerning these weapons.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote