View Single Post
Old 10th September 2017, 10:18 PM   #7
chiefheadknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi CHK:

I'm sorry I'm coming to this a little late.

I agree with Detlef that your sword is N. Thai/Lao in origin and from the Rattanakosin period, maybe early to mid-19th C. I have a similar, hua bua tipped sword from the early Rattanakosin period (as dated from the silverwork on the scabbard)--pictures below. The hua bua tip is based on the shape of the lotus bud, and there are many variations. As you can see, the tip on mine is a little different from yours, but the purpose was similar. There are martial arts techniques that employed this tip to inflict a painful jab to the sword hand or arm of an opponent, temporarily distracting him and allowing a slashing blow to a more vital structure. These swords were intended mainly for close hand fighting, including indoors, and were sometimes used by bodyguards specifically trained in the use of this particular sword.

Ian.

Hi ian, thanks for your valuable information , I can imagine its a great sword for close hand fighting the sword has quite a curve and is razor sharp , when I first acquired it I wondered if it was was more of a dress type sword ,I don't know how often swords came into use in the 19th century ,I daresay life could of been quite violent and brutal ,
thanks
chn
chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote