View Single Post
Old 13th July 2017, 01:25 PM   #34
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams and as a way of updating this conundrum...I have a few pictures of various examples from Saudia which I have downloaded via Pinterest. The relevant maps are repeated here with the Omani map showing the Waliat of al Wustah in red which suggest a tie up between the two regions by sea. The Seaports Of Jazan and Sur are of paramount importance in this regard... but more important is the entire subject of Saiid The Great of Zanzibar..without which we wouldn't be having this discussion!

Occasionally give away clues exist like the thick leather belt on Saudia examples or inscriptions on the Saudia weapon of the maker (In this case Ali al Mursi) and of the typical bunch of flowers and even on some at the thread earlier the emblem of Saudia Arabia crossed swords and palm trees in later editions. Some association with the local flower tribe is suggested since they wear the dagger but that is compelling but not proven.

It appears to my eye that the crown is more bulbous in the Saudia version, The T hilt shape more pronounced and the body of the scabbard thinner in appearance...

Omani silver.com attach some importance suggesting this being an Omani weapon thus the entire situation is very firmly on the table ... I suggest it is both... being originally al Wustah and transported perhaps with a silversmith from Omans Al Wustah region who may have settled in the Asir as Omanis moved to Zanzibar and its environs en masse in the 19th C ..The two weapons are virtually identical.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
The inscription does not say Ali alMursi, but says Amal Ahmed bin Mousa, a famous Hasa craftsmanship whose family continued to work on arms including swords. :-)

Could you perhaps have who ever reads those Arabic inscriptions to try again?
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote