View Single Post
Old 30th September 2010, 04:09 PM   #13
broadaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Thank you Broadaxe, fascinating info! not a problem, we are here to share.
On my file bladed one, there are also 2 rings on the scabbard as well as the belt loop, i always assumed these were either for added ties to the belt or so it could be attached to a baldric or shoulder belt, I know am wondering if the would have been for added decorations as well? From what I know, the things vary. You can find them both or just seperated, while you can also find more side rings, up to 3 pairs (= 6 rings a lot). I believe this gave way to flexibility in affixing the knife, as some folks used leather belt, some used woven baldric (on the waists like a belt, across the shoulder reserved only for swords here) and some laced the knife permanently into their batlle harness.

Also is it possible to estimate the Armenian style niello one? If you talk about the one entirely cladded in nielloed silver it goes towards the higher end of shabriyas . I was told it was collected in Egyption territory by a British serviceman along with an old sword & kukri in around 1947? But have no evidence to support or refute it. It is possible, could be the Sinai desert. The enire region was a large battlefield during the fall of WWI. Kukries are to be found, although rarely, becauuse there were three British/Indian batallions involved. The type of the sword would have been a great source of further information. Just remember that after WWI there was the Arab revolt of 1936-9, then WWII which put some less stress over that region (minor battles), but from 1947 to 1949 the whole place was in flames due our Independence War.
Have you any examples to share? Would be nice to see others. I do not collect them but occasionaly own one or two, just because the local interest. I handled, though, maybe hundreds of all kinds and conditions. Posting now a photo of the last one I traded off about a month ago, will take photos of two other which are for a keep. BTW, that particular shape is to be found only in Jordan, Israel and the Sinai.
Spiral
The shabriya in my photo is an old one with a good blade (not from a file though), hilt is horn and the most thing is wrapped in thin silver sheet.
Attached Images

Last edited by broadaxe; 30th September 2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: apply to forum rules
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote