View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Looks Western Arabian but COULD be Indian with strong Arab influence. I have not seen an arab scabbard with a centre section quite like this. Usually made totally of silver. It appears more like an Indian scabbard to me. Is there any fabric residue inside the two pieces?
Regards Stuart
I should clarify................there is obviously fabric between the two silver sections, but it would appear from the pics that there is a significant thickness gap between it and the silver. Does it appear as if the present fabric?? is an "underlining" for something else?
Nice piece by the way! If it ever needs a new home.........................

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for helping, I was hoping you'd see the thread and take a look
To be completely honest the smooth lines and Indian 'look' were what really attracted me to this piece.
The Scabbard is as you say very similar to the classic Indian style with velvet covering over wood. The mounts are beautifully carved bronze which was once silvered but is now mostly showing the yellow of the base metal.
What is missing, is the flock from the material. Generally the piece was caked with 'brasso' polish residue and is going to have to suffer a gentle clean to remove the white crud. I think the velvet would probobly be best replaced as its in such a state.
Best Wishes
Gene
Here are some better pictures:

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote