View Single Post
Old 30th March 2018, 06:45 AM   #17
jagabuwana

I agree with Green - it doesn't seem like the writer had a great command of written Arabic script. There are also some characters used fairly often that aren't in the Arabic alphabet. The character looks like a an inverted c with three dots under it, in an upside-down orientation to how they are normally used, as in for the letters "thaa" and "sheen". Nor do I think this is present in Jawi.

As Green mentioned it is also interesting that they've added tashkil / harakat (accents and symbols to guide pronunciation). The impression that I get is that this person doesn't speak Arabic or knows how to deploy it, but has learned how to read and write it (or at least the letters) in the context of learning the Qur'an when they were younger.

Still, this doesn't seem like random packing paper to me. It'd be really interesting to find out what the letter is. And it is indeed a letter because it says many times "ini surat" or "surat ini", meaning "this letter". It's hard for me to make out anything after that.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote