View Single Post
Old 11th February 2010, 07:33 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
Just gave it a quick browse. There are numerous misstatements [read lies] in the descriptions of the edged weapons. I would be quite cautious in using it as a platform for attributing and dating swords.

I would use equal caveat in choosing words, as 'misstatements' obviously suggests a statement or comment unintentionally used or of course ill chosen , while the term 'lie' is accusatory, inflammatory and unacceptably used here. Please use such comments privately if you must, and not openly on this forum.

I would point out that in many published materials, and as often found in many catalogs, there are publishing and unedited errors somewhat inevitable along with some 'misstatements', and I have discovered them in the works of even the most revered authors. I very much believe that an author deserves respect for the work they have faithfully sought to present accurately, and not to be callously judged for errors , omissions or misstatements that might exist.
In the very example cited, #173, for example, the description clearly refers to the plug bayonet below, while the sword itself is of course an espada ancha........whose description I have not yet located in the catalog.

I personally know this catalog very well, and find the items very accurately described, with the exception of the flaw noted. If you have issues with the descriptions of any items in particular, I would appreciate if you would address them specifically and offer your supported observations as a courteously presented rebuttal. I am certain that as a dealer, and with your descriptions of weapons, you would appreciate the same courtesy.

Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 11th February 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote