View Single Post
Old 29th March 2019, 04:38 AM   #11
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted By mross
I know this may not be a popular opinion. I do not think any of the Panabas where primarily a fighting weapon. Status symbol, execution device, clean up weapon after a battle but not primarily a fighting weapon. Not to say it could not or would not be used under the right circumstance. I have several and have seen and held a few more, IMHO they are too cumbersome and slow to be used in battle. A kalis, barong or spear would put the user of a panabas at very severe disadvantage. I also do not believe in the fear argument that they where used to strike fear into their opponents. I do not see a Moro being very fearful of an opponent coming at him with a panabas. I could see him smiling as he knows he is about to make him meet his maker.
It was not my intent to infer that this style of panabas was ever meant to be used as a primary weapon in battle, but instead could have possibly been carried either as a secondary weapon or as you pointed out as a status symbol. I just do not believe that examples such as the one Detlef has shown here were made with the sole purpose of being used as nothing more than mere gardening tools.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote