View Single Post
Old 5th January 2009, 08:52 AM   #21
Bill M

Thanks for all the replies. And Lew, I'd like to think it is older than 1960-70 and well kept. It is hard to get that patina otherwise. I have another one that has the same shaft color and a more common symmetrical head.

I also have a harpoon variety.

This is a heavy, solid weapon, but very well-balanced! A strong man could probably throw it 30 feet as Jenks remarked in Miguel Diaz's post.

The butt spike would indicate that it could be stuck in the ground. So we may be looking at the same type spear. Under enlargement there are several spears in the picture that are barbed and may have asymmetrical heads.

As to the asymmetric head causing airfoil disturbance, I find, in the case of this spear, this would be extremely unlikely. And though it could be used as a halberd, this also seems unlikely.

Like the military assegai I posted recently, this also seems to have the heft of a fighting stick/club. Like a Japanese Bo.

I have quite a few spears. There is a noticeable difference in those that were meant to be thrown, like some huge 9 foot spears from PNG that I acquired with a spear thrower.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote