View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2006, 04:17 PM   #7
katana

Hi Bill,
yes I remember the thread, very nice daggers....I love the hilts. Do you think the blades on yours are functional?
I appreciate the discussion that these were ritualistic, I'm not so sure that ALL the examples seen are. I am quite certain that mine are not tourist....and looking at yours I sense that they are not either. Finding information on these examples has been very difficult, there seems to be little documentation as to their use or function. A sign of status or position seems likely, but the fact that some of them seem functional tends to suggest their use is more than ceremonial.
My straight dagger seems the 'most' used and has had a repair, is it noticeable that your straight dagger shows signs of being used more than the curved? It could be significant if that is the case.

I have researched the significance of the number 3 within the Islamic faith, to see if there is a possible link with the three daggers and found this:

Meaning of Dreams in Islam

Dreams are broken into three parts according to the Sunnah:

Ru'yaa - good visions (dreams)

Hulum - bad dreams

Dreams from one's self

Abu Hurayrah narrated Muhammad (S) said, "There are three types of dreams: a righteous dream which is glad tidings from Allah, the dream which causes sadness is from Shaitan, and a dream from the ramblings of the mind." (Sahih Muslim)

Also there are 3 pillars to a binding contract

CONDITIONS AND PILLARS OF THE NIKAH CONTRACT:
The pillars of every contract, including the marriage contract, in Islam are three:
1. Al-A’qidaan: The two parties: who must both be mature, sane and there must be no preventions or prohibitions .

2. Seighat ul-Aq’d: The deal i.e. the offer (Al-Ijaab) and (Al-Qaboul) acceptance. There must be no ambiguity over what is offered and accepted between the parties.

3. Al-Ma’qoud A’layh: The subject matter: Again the subject matter must be without any prohibitions or preventions.

I feel that ....if the symbolic significance of these daggers is the fact that there are three then, perhaps the 'contract' idea is a great possibility.
You could speculate that an individual's 'contract' to an Islamic cause or leader was symbolised by the three daggers bound by one scabbard. That poccession of these daggers showed your allegiance and loyalty.
Perhaps the totemic properties of the crocodile sheaths was its power to strenghened or protect that contract and the three pillars (daggers) it contained.

I Know I maybe well 'off-base' .....just want to throw this idea in and see what response it gets.........don't be too hard on me
katana is offline   Reply With Quote