View Single Post
Old 1st September 2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Emanuel

Hello,

Yes this type of tulwar is commonly known as a tegha. The rosette disk and the type of handle point to Rajasthan. For some time it was thought that these swords were used for executions, then for animal sacrifice. I'm not sure. The reinforced T-spine suggests it's meant for use, but the carved and brass decoration negates that. My thinking is that a heavily decorated blade is difficult to maintain and preserve from damage if it's used. These may therefore be better suited to display and ceremonial functions. They may have been bearing swords, or, if newer than 19th century, intended for sale and display only. Furthermore, I don't see any edge bevel. Is it sharp at all?

So late-19th century Rajasthan would be my most positive guess. Is the scabbard covered in canvas or some felt material? The former may suggest early-20th century.

The scratches on the "top wide part", the spine of the blade, are no script. They do not match the carving on the flat of the blade in style or quality so I'd be very suspicious of them, they seem to be a later addition.

In terms of conservation, you don't have to do much on the blade, only the handle needs some rust control. Wash with detergent and soft wire wool and finally wipe with mineral oil (baby oil) or WD40-type product to protect from further rust.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote