View Single Post
Old 8th July 2008, 06:12 PM   #28
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
I've noticed some "trend" here when sellers asking for offers are challenged to name their price. Well, sometimes we have an idea, an estimate, but just as at ALL major auctions - they never considered as "price" per se. The price is determined by how much someone is willing to pay! I have some fantastic swords I'd offer for sale, but I'd never list them at a fixed price. So... "... I do not see anything wrong with asking for offers. If someone is interested in an item (really wants it!), and knows enough about it in terms of comparative market value - one should be able to make an intelligent offer and to negotiate it. It is a seller's right afterall to sell anyway he/she prefers without justifying his/her selling preferences".
Hi Alex
Puting things that way, this would perhaps be an endless discussion. If we invert the situation, for example, the price could also be determined by how much someone is willing to sell it for. Whether we are interested in an item, depends mostly on its price; this is the difference between realy desiring it and realy wanting it ... if i make myself understood. Unless one is a tycoon, the decision to want something is inalienable from his capacity to pay for it ... unfortunately.
Certainly puting something on sale under secrecy of its price gives place to more speculation than in the contrary. Also when somebody sugests that posting the article's price gives a possibility for people be aware of its value update, without necessarily wanting to buy it, it's precisely the same the other way round; who can tell that the seller is not invinting people to make offers in order to evaluate the stuff, prior to deciding to sell it ?
My primary thaught when i visit the swap forum to see if there is something i want (and can afford) to buy, is that i am acquiring the item on a membership basis, free of speculation; so i don't have to be an expert in auction licitations, as i am not afraid i will be taken for a ride. My beleive is that forum members are more comited to transparency, not only on what touches fair prices but also, which is not less important, to describe the quality and age of the item with the isention proper of a (this) Forum atmosphere.
But of course, these are no more than points of view.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote