Thread: Faca De Ponta.
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2011, 11:11 PM   #30
Chris Evans

Hi Gene,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
So, the question is, who used what?
Are the giants exclusive to the outlaws?
First, a big thank you for publishing all this terrific work on a very little known subject.

I think that to answer to your question we must first look into the agricultural and slaughtering/butchering practices of the region. Given the by the then strong proliferation of firearms, these huge knives must have had some utilitarian application; I read somewhere that they were known not as faca de ponta, rather as fish butchering knives, but I haven't had the time to follow this up.

Also, as blacklacrau said, they probably were status symbols too, much like officers swords are in modern times. I think it is fair to say that the absence of a handguard suggests that these were not intended for serious fighting, rather to facilitate carriage. The gaucho saddle facons often had full size sword blades but rarely a handguard; Now why would a weapon be stripped of such a valuable feature? IMHO because ease of carriage was the first concern and they were not intended to be weapons, rather slaughtering tools. In contrast, the shorter and nimbler fighting grade facons were often fitted with cross guards.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote