Thread: Faca De Ponta.
View Single Post
Old 4th April 2011, 06:48 PM   #23
Atlantia

Gav and Chris

Thanks guys. I'm glad my efforts are of interest.
I'm going to add some interesting things I've found, so please 'stay tuned'.

The large one shows lots of use on the blade, sharpening, pitting, cleaning etc. It's had 'a life'.

Firstly here is a picture to illustrate the relative sizes of these weapons.

Secondly, I'm going to add some of the information I've found.
Although I'm only really interested in the knives, it's interwoven with the outlaws.
It seems that Lampiao especially has achieved an almost 'hero' status in Brazil.
It is of course not uncommon for outlaws to be remembered in this way ('Robin Hood' syndrome), but in Lampiao's case it seems that he did little to deserve his cult status, as he and his 'band' were ruthless, sadistic, cruel mass murderers. Reading about his exploits (crimes), it's difficult to imagine feeling an emotion other than loathing for him.

That in mind, it's perhaps easier to understand why his richly deserved death was followed by the public display of his and some of his comrades heads for decades after the event.

The picture of this 'display' is relevant to this subject as the outlaws knives were dsplayed with them.
So, I will add the picture below and as I don't like suprises of a graphic nature, I warn readers now!!
There we go. The intro is over.

Last edited by Atlantia; 5th April 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote