View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Nando,,
I agree with you and Alan, this does look like a cut down rapier blade, and of the section often seen on both Spanish and Italian rapiers c. 1680s. I have always been under the impression these were being produced in Solingen for Spanish market and often used spurious names and phrases, such as 'JESUS' MARIA' I have seen on some. These same type blades are found on Italian rapiers (as noted c.1680s) and are seen in Boccia& Coelho.

I believe this dagger is probably 19th century in mounts, and reflects neoclassic styling and symbolism with the acanthus leaves, trefoil (clover) and the cross pattee. It is of Italian style recalling mid 17th form (Boccia & Coelho #617-620).

These central fuller blades from rapiers seem to have been widely distributed and in trade late into the 18th century. I believe the reason for this is that highly tradition gentry, especially the Spanish, remounted these blades not only in smallswords but in the long use of the earlier rapiers.

I searched as well for 'FRANZINI" but really found nothing either, though the name Franchini does come up c.1490 in a maker of Italian polearm heads.
Many of these names and words both Italian and Spanish were used spuriously by German makers. What Alan notes on names that occurred over long periods of time is right, often these were families which became firms and many individual workers were involved. This is the reason that accounts for such wide variation in makers marks and guild marks.

Regarding Ferrara, this is very much the case, in fact it is widely doubted that Ferrara actually even refers to a single maker and is more likely a term which is applied as a 'brand' or style for a blade destined to particular market. For example, on Scottish broadswords the 'ANDREA FERRARA' was very much favored by the Scots, and the word Andrew (It. Andrea) meant loosely 'true' or 'reliable' while Ferrara obviously Lat. for iron (steel). In Solingen these markings were placed on the blades accordingly, while other terms/names were used as well, i.e. Sahagum. I am wondering if perhaps 'Franzini' may have been applied in the channel of this rapier blade which is of the trade type and perhaps in this sense, for Italian market. It is known there was an interchange between Germany/Italy and Spain in this commerce.

Could we see close ups of the other markings for more clues? In the meantime I would say this is a 19th century dagger using a probably early 18th century blade in neoclassic mounts with blade cut down accordingly.My only other note would be that the blade seems to almost widen slightly reflecting an almost spatulate look, or maybe its just the perspective.

Ok OK another treatise I know!!!!

All the best,
JIm
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote