Thread: Khanda Sword
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2015, 04:49 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am also unclear on what would be meant by 'Hindu hilt of the tulwar' though these distinctive hilt forms may certainly be regarded as in use by ethnic groups of that Faith, such as Rajputs. The term 'Hindu basket hilt' was originally applied with regard to the more developed khanda hilts of the Marathas, presumably owing to European influences. It has also been my understanding that 'khanda' is yet another dialectic term for sword, not otherwise specified. The term 'firangi' is commonly held to refer to these type hilts mounted with 'foreign' blades.

Regarding the 'pattisa' term, it is again my understanding that it is keyed toward the distinctive spatulate blade form.
My observations on the pattisa form blade on this example recognized that the sword itself remained technically 'khanda'.

As I noted, this example is 'anomalous' in that it is hybridized, referring to the features of tulwar hilts (diamond grip, the langet, and the vestigial quillons under the guard)......and the unusual 'pattisa' type blade.

I think the origins of the 'Indo-Persian' hilt of the tulwar would prove a great topic for discussion under another heading outside this thread. As far as I have known, the exact origins of this hilt form remain unclear, though obviously the Mughal examples definitely account for preponderance of examples.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote