View Single Post
Old 20th February 2005, 01:47 AM   #27
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Rivkin,
I'm sorry! Did not mean to make you feel bad!
I think with certain weapon forms, as always, it's what the market will bear.
Here in the west, it is very difficult to obtain good Caucasian weapons, and their very exotic nature leads to quite exorbitant prices. It has been of course even more exacerbated by ebay and auction prices which have greatly inflated prices.
The paraphrasing of the so called Spanish motto is not at all surprising in the Caucusus, as trade centers there occasionally received European trade blades which bore this motto, most typically in Latin. It is of course, a very well said phrase which succinctly captures both patriotism and honor in whichever language it is used. As previously noted and referenced it is typically attributed to Spanish provenance by early arms & armour writers, and travelled quickly through armourers in Spanish, French and Italian provinces who in the period suggested for its origin, were closely linked via the Bourbon sphere.

I am happy that there is a distinct awareness becoming popular in the extremely important history of the Caucusus, however this is also key in the increasing demand and rising prices of these magnificent weapons.

All the best
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote