View Single Post
Old 6th January 2021, 05:08 PM   #4
Will M

Jim your straight bladed Mole 1921p if for training would most likely have a rounded point as seen on other training swords.
I would suggest Mole made some prototypes or an officer had this one made as a fighting sword.
At the onset of the Crimea War Enfield was struggling to supply war materials. European made 1853p swords were inspected at Liege as not to make a trip to England and back just for proving, even furthuring the wait times.
The 11th Hussars sword interstingly has a 16th Queens Lancers scabbard which makes sense since the regiment was posted to India for 10 years after being in the Crimea as was the 16th QL. Procurment of sword parts seemed to be scavaging parts to more quickly equip the troops. Since the British Crimean cavalry were outfitted with the new 1853p sword before the war ended, it makes sense these Liege swords were one of their first issues.
I was under the impression the Kirschbaum swords were made and issued later in the Crimea War. Being govt. issue swords none of the 1853p swords became presentations for the war and we see the previous pattern, the 1796 LC swords with inscriptions on them.
It can be debated Liege and or Kirchbaum but the thin tangs that drew criticism for bending with the first issue 1853's are evident on the Liege marked swords. The tang may look thicker in the photo, but there is sheet metal on either side of the tang as grip backing plates which makes them appear slightly wider. These tangs do measure considerably less than later 1855 made Mole swords. Liege tang thickness at guard: 0.210 and the Mole of 1855 manufacture: 0.340 Both taper towards the pommel. 0.130 difference in thickness is not manufacturing tolerance but a change made to strenthen the tang of the 1853p.

For an interesting read, a book first published in 1864 titled "Englands Workshops", by Gustav Louis Maurice Strauss. One section is on Reeves, another electroplating and more. As I recall it's an inexpensive print on demand softcover book. Describes the manufacturing processes of swords/bayonets and much more.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote