View Single Post
Old 6th January 2021, 04:29 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

BRILLIANT WILL!!!! Thank you.

It is truly exciting to see examples of these swords of the types used and with regimental markings which of course profoundly suggest their presence in the famed charge is possible.
This was what my young collecting mind dreamed of all those years ago

The information on the M1853 is most interesting, and I was not aware of the Liege examples. Richard Dellar's outstanding book was where I had heard of the Kirschbaum models which were supplied to the units for Crimea.

It seems that Reeves produced these as well, as he had established the new patent hilt with the tang sandwiched with grips riveted to it.

As shown in the last image the 'bowl guard' M1829 saber for heavy cavalry was used in the not as well known charge of the 'heavy brigade' just subsequent to that of the 'light brigade'.
From what I recall both the light and heavy versions of these sabers were initiated in 1821, with issues developing and production was halted until 1829...thus confusion on 1829 vs. 1821.

Attached are the two 'bowl' guard 1829s I have, the one without the 'ears' on grip has a curious straight blade (by Mole) which I have believed was a modification for use in training?
In those days(only references were Robson and Wilkinson) mid 70s it was believed these were hard to find because of many of these used for naval cutlass conversion prototypes, training swords and numbers destroyed in a fire. It took quite some time too find these examples I have, though not exactly stellar quality.

The officers version of the 'bowl' guard heavy cavalry was pierced, this example by the Hamburger, Rogers outfitters.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote