View Single Post
Old 5th August 2007, 11:53 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Jeff and Tatyana for adding your examples...and especially for the photos showing the detail on the motif!
Emanuel I really appreciate the notes on the Desjardins work, the data is very helpful.
It is interesting to see the variations in the motif, which seem quite subtle in the geometric designs, though it seems puzzling that it is noted that such motif was determined by the length and shape of blade. It seems the blades are always of basically the same shape, except those rare variant curved forms. It also seems puzzling that she states that the Kabyles though superstitious, do not use amulets and charms, while Berbers overall use essentially the same symbolics in material culture such as textiles, jewellery etc. as well as in tattooing.
The geometric designs in general Berber symbolism seem distinctly the basis for much of the motif on the flyssa, though as noted, the variation seems quite subtle. Although we are aware that the Berber term is applied loosely to geographically widespread confederation of tribes, it would seem that such symbolism would be consistant in artistic application regardless of interpretation. Actually in reviewing the standard illustrated glossaries of such symbolism it seems in my opinion somewhat contrived much as such interpretations of rock art symbolism and much categorically assembled material on symbolism.

While this assessment may be somewhat defeating in trying to find the meanings behind much of the motif on flyssas, I still believe there were more deliberately applied purposes in earlier examples. As has been noted in Desjardines, later flyssa became more widely produced and of course more degraded as typical of volume production, so decorative motif without meaning would be standard. This is much the same as the duplication of trade markings on blades intended to suggest quality for marketing purposes, or the application of thuluth script on Sudanese weapons.

Another interesting thing regarding 19th century Algeria and the young men returning from gaining thier fortunes, notes that they would then get a sword either yataghan or flyssa, but the Ottoman yataghan was more highly esteemed. This seems interesting since many earlier discussions refuted the idea that the yataghan could have had influence on the development of the flyssa since Ottomans never conquered the Kabyles.

I apologize for not responding sooner, I am occasionally out of computer signal area. I really do appeciate everyones responses in this and look forward to continuing discussion on the flyssas. All of you have shown excellent examples and it is great to look at them in comparison.

Thank you all again !!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote