View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2007, 03:46 PM   #22
kronckew

i imagine it's a bit longer as it needs to be used from camel back, they're a bit taller than horses. an infantry/naval weapon is generally shorter as you do not want it hitting the ground as you swing it. on a horse/camel you want it long enough to strike an enemy on foot, so length would be appropriate. as far as musculature, practice makes perfect. there are very few of us nowadays who would spend the time to develop the musculature required for serious swordsmanship. or archery. who can pull a 150lb longbow at 6 aimed arrows/min for a half hour or more? they could at crecy & agincourt.

when i was measured for my naval officers sword, it was measured such that the tip missed the ground (deck actually) by 1 inch as it was gripped comfortably in my hand and pointed at the ground. i once saw another officer during a parade with a borrowed sword that did hit the ground as he was marching & saluting, the blade snapped and he was very embarrassed. it would have been even more embarrassing in the old days in a real battle. probably fatally so.

and, finally, men always like to brag about how long their weapon is....
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote